The joy of having a blog is that it gives one a forum, so in order to promote my belief that to know a grape is to love it, here are some fun and fascinating things you may or may not know about this terrific varietal.
- It is the most planted "red" varietal in the world
- Although most of us think of France, particularly the Rhone Valley, when we ponder Grenache, it's place of birth is Spain, where it's known as "Garnacha". The Spanish grow much more of it than the French - 3 times more - mostly in Rioja and Catalonia.
- It has many aliases - Alicante, Carignane Rousse, Canonau just to name a few
- It is often blended as in the famous "Chateauneuf De Pape!
- Grenache has also taken up new homes in California & Australia
- The vines enjoy a hot dry climate, but it can 'sunburn' easily
Typical Flavor Characteristics may include:
So now that you know a bit more about this famous, hard working grape, go ahead an find something "Grenache" for tomorrow. Perhaps a Gigondas (a terrific area) or something New World - but whatever your tipple, relax, enjoy and don'f forget some tunes to go with it!